Friday, 18 January 2013

Review: The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb




What if there was a 13th zodiac sign?

You’re no longer Sagittarius, but Ophiuchus, the healer, the 13th sign.

Your personality has changed. So has your mom’s and your best friend’s.

What about the rest of the world?

What if 
you were the one who accidentally unlocked the 13th sign, causing this world-altering change—and infuriating the other 12 signs? 

Jalen did it, and now she must use every ounce of her strength and cunning to send the signs back where they belong. Lives, including her own, depend on it.










I've recently read a book which incorporates the 13th zodiac sign, Ophiuchus, and since then I've been really interested in it. (The book was Touch of Death by Kelly Hashway, in case you were wondering) I even looked it up and read all about it online. I think the concept of the sign is great, but I'm glad it isn't really included, because there's no way I would give up being a Leo! Kristin O'Donnell Tubb did an amazing job with The 13th Sign, and I was drawn in right from the beginning.

I haven't read a middle grade book in ages, and to find out that the main character was only thirteen initially shocked me. I became even more astonished later on in the novel, when reading about everything Jalen, Ellie (her best friend) and Brennan (Ellie's brother) had to do to send the 12 zodiac signs back.

I guess I should explain what that means. Jalen is originally a Sagittarius, but after discovering the 13th sign, she realized her actual sign is Ophiuchus. She unknowingly unlocks this sign, changing the personality of everyone on the planet. This part I found a bit hard to believe, because I personally don't believe in horoscopes, and it's pretty far-fetched that everyone's personality changes when their signs change. It totally worked in this book, though. Tubb almost had me believing in the signs!

The 13th Sign follows Jalen, Ellie, and Brennan as they go on a quest to retrieve the birthstones of the 12 signs in order to send them back to the heavens. Oh, and they receive some unexpected help. They're very different from the people they were before the signs changed, though. It was interesting to see how Ellie's and Brennan's personality changes affected Jalen. Jalen also found herself doing and saying things she would never have said before. I like the Ophiuchus Jalen better, since she's feisty and isn't afraid to say what she thinks. Brennan becomes a lot sweeter after the personality shift, but I kind of missed the jerk Brennan. He was funny and sarcastic, while the new one, well, is scared of water. As for Ellie, I'm honestly torn. I didn't even know who Ellie was most of the time (you'll find out when you read the book), but I think she's pretty cool before as well as after.

I found out a lot of interesting facts about all the zodiac signs while reading The 13th Sign, and the action present throughout the book also kept me glued to the pages. I loved how different all the zodiacs were, and it was intriguing to see what they were like in human form. Some of them really surprised me, even though I don't really believe in them (yeah, I'm nothing like what my sign says I'm supposed to be). There are a few plot twists in this book, and that's another aspect that made this a really enjoyable read. 

The 13th Sign is really something that anyone can read - it's fun, it's interesting, and I think it would be enjoyable to adults, too. And if you're really into horoscopes, I think you'll love this! The characters are all very likeable, and the plot is well-paced. This book is great as a standalone, although I do think it has potential for a series. The underlying theme of self-discovery makes this book great for YA readers as well, so on the whole, The 13th Sign is a book that would appeal to a large number of readers!

*Thank you to Kristin O'Donnell Tubb for providing a copy for review*

Rating: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I am always keeping my eye out for middle grade books for my nephews. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, great review :D Glad you enjoyed this book. <3 I also have a review copy of it. Hoping I will love it as much as you did :)
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I hope you like it too :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!