Thursday, 24 January 2013

Review: Otherkin by Nina Berry



I thought I knew myself. Then I met Caleb.

Dez is a good girl who does as she's told and tries not to be noticed. Then she rescues a boy from a cage, and he tells her secrets about herself. Now inside her burns a darkness that will transform her.

Everything is about to change--and neither Caleb, nor the Otherkin, nor those who hunt them, are prepared for what Dez will unleash.














Oh wow. I haven't read a book like Otherkin in ages, and it reminded me of how much I missed paranormal. I've been so caught up in this contemporary phase that I've forgotten just how amazing a good paranormal read can be. Otherkin rekindled my love for paranormal, and I'm so grateful for that!

Personally, I don't think the description of this book does it justice. Otherkin is so much more than that, and Dez is so much more than that. Seriously, give this book a chance and you most definitely will not regret it! I loved everything about Otherkin - the whole concept, all the characters who are unique in their own way, the action, the suspense, the humour. This book has it all! It's not often that I come across a book in which I can find no flaws at all, but this is definitely one of those times.

Dez. Firstly, I love that name! It suits her way more than Desdemona, her full name. Dez is awesome - she's strong, she's stubborn, and incredibly compassionate. She's so good that she seems unreal! Dez's character develops a lot in this book, going from reserved and uncertain to strong and brazen. And the most awesome thing about Dez? She can shift into a tiger! That's right - a gigantic, gorgeous, beautifully striped tiger. I think she accepts who she is really fast, and that's admirable. Plus, she never complains. Not once. She isn't whiny or bratty, and she's incredibly focused throughout the novel. No wonder the others turn to her as a leader.

Speaking of the others... Caleb first, of course. I liked him immediately - when they first meet, he makes Dez feel at ease with his awesome sense of humour, and he's also really supportive of her no matter how skeptical he is about her decisions. Even when he seemed to be keeping secrets from Dez, I trusted him completely. He's just the kind of guy that you can't help but trust. Dez realizes that, and she even grows to rely on his unwavering support. The chemistry between them builds up right from the start; it was incredible to see. Their relationship develops slowly. Maybe too slow for some people, but definitely not for me. I loved the part where they finally give in to their desires!

When Dez and Caleb go on the run and reach the school for the Otherkin, they meet the others. November is a rat-shifter, a very quirky and bubbly one. London is a wolf-shifter; closed-off at first, but very lovable on the inside. Siku can shift into a bear, and Arnaldo into an eagle. Both these guys were amazing in their own way - Siku seemed kind of scary at first, but he's got a dry sense of humour that was really nice to see at random moments. Arnaldo is the resident geek. There's always one of those, right? Anyway, I loved his adorable awkwardness. I grew really attached to all these characters, because they were pretty much impossible not to like. Nina Berry has done an amazing job with her character development in this book.

The plot, as I mentioned before, is perfectly-paced, and it flows so smoothly! There were no slow moments in this book at all. There's loads of suspense, a lot of unanswered questions, and it basically makes you pine for the next one! Luckily I had Othermoon lying on my shelf just waiting to be read, so I went straight on to it.

If you love paranormal books, you've got to read this one. The concept is totally unique, and the book is pretty much unputdownable. The world-building was great, the characters were likeable, and the action was mind-blowing! Seriously, even if you're not a huge YA paranormal fan, Otherkin may just win you over. Nina Berry has created a beautiful world which I couldn't help but dive into right from the beginning. This series has gained a new hardcore fan!

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I love your review! This sounds like an amazing cast of characters and I love that the romance is sweet <3

    Oh well, we need more paranormal romances like this one in the YA genre! Going to check it out soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sel! I think you'd really like it :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!