Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Review: Othermoon by Nina Berry





Everyone has secrets. When Dez rescued a boy, Caleb, from a cage, she discovered secrets she never knew she possessed, Now she's sure she's found the place where she belongs. With the otherkin - and with Caleb. But as the barriers between the mortal world and Othersphere fall, a wall rises between Dez and Caleb, leaving her fiercest enemy her only friend ...and maybe something more. Now Dez must make a devastating choice: keep the love of her life, or save the otherkin from annihilation...















Othermoon is a great follow-up to Otherkin. It's a lot darker, though, and there's a lot more at stake. The plot is gripping and fast-paced, with lots of action. With a sequel like this, I'm literally craving the next book!

It's amazing how much Dez has grown to accept herself as a tiger-shifter. She loves shifting, and being in her tiger form makes her feel comfortable. She's changed a lot from who she was at the beginning of Otherkin - she's tougher, stronger, and, well, even more stubborn. Her pride gets in the way of a lot of things in this book, but I understand why she makes the decisions she does. I don't necessarily agree with them, though. I found it admirable that Dez stood up for what she believed in even with practically no one on her side, but I wish she had put herself in the place of the others to see things from their point of view. Dez also grows into her role as a leader, and I think she makes a great one because she's so focused. She goes through a lot in this book; some really personal stuff too. Her biological mom, for example. Yeah, Dez gets to communicate with her, though she's not what she expected. Dez's relationship with Caleb takes a turn for the worse in Othermoon, and I wanted to knock some sense into both of them throughout the better part of the novel!

We see a different side of Caleb in this book. He's not as humourous or carefree as he was in Otherkin. In fact, he seems like a completely different person, broody most of the time. That doesn't mean he wasn't still awesome, though! On the contrary. I'm still full-on Team Caleb. What I didn't like about him in this book was his irrational jealousy. He should know that he's everything to Dez and that she loves him. But no, he misinterprets a lot of things, and ends up jumping to conclusions. Of course, not all of them are unwarranted. But still, I almost yelled out loud in some scenes! There's a barrier that forms between Caleb and Dez about halfway through the book, a barrier that I doubt will disappear anytime soon. And that really breaks my heart, because I think they're amazing together, and they bring out the best in each other. Caleb and Dez did have some great moments in Othermoon. Here's a couple of teasers that will leave you wanting more!
His voice got low, sending a thrilling vibration down to my toes. “Because the next time I get you alone, nobody’s going to stop me.” 
He said nothing, only kissed me again with a craving that pulled the breath from my body.  

Do they make you want to pick up the book right now? I sure hope so! Things really heat up between Caleb and Dez in this book, and that leaves me with hope for the two of them. Because they really are meant for each other.

And now we come to Lazar, a.k.a. the guy who messes up everything. If you remember him from Otherkin, you know that he's Caleb's half-brother. Well, he's suddenly had a loyalty change. He turns to Amaris, his sister, for help, and she brings him to Dez and Caleb. Caleb, of course, wants nothing to do with him. Understandably. Dez, on the other hand, holds out the olive branch. I was initially surprised with her decision, but I kind of get it. She'll do whatever it takes to bring down the initiative and make sure her friends are safe. Even if it means asking the enemy for help.
I felt really conflicted about Lazar in this book. I empathized with him, and he reminds me of Warner from Shatter Me. In fact, Dez, Caleb and Lazar all remind me of Juliette, Adam and Warner. That's why I find it weird that in Shatter Me I'm Team Warner but here I'm definitely Team Caleb. Lazar has come over to the good side, but I blame him for the rift between Dez and Caleb, so I can't bring myself to like him too much. I do appreciate that he was there for Dez when Caleb wasn't, though. I don't know what will happen in the next book, but judging by the end of this one, I think Lazar's going to be pretty happy where he is.

We also get to see a lot more of the otherkin, as well as Amaris. She's not as frail as she was in Othermoon, since she's been training with the otherkin, too. I liked seeing her with Caleb, because I could tell how much they cared for each other. I felt really sorry for Amaris at times, usually when she was with Caleb and Lazar and they were at each other's throats. She loves both her brothers and they love her, but they can't stand one another. Amaris hates that, but she's helpless. I found it ironic how she secretly communicated with Caleb in Otherkin and now with Lazar in Othermoon. But I sympathize with her because she had to hide her affection for each brother, in both books. Hopefully things start to look up in book 3!

London, November, Siku and Arnaldo are exactly how they were in Otherkin. I was maybe a little disappointed with the lack in development, but I loved the new relationship that cropped up. I won't say who! We get to see a different side of November as well, and find out a shocking secret about London! I have to admit I never saw that one coming. All the otherkin develop their skills in this sequel, and they discover something new about their shifter forms - another thing I never saw coming! This book is just full of surprises. Not all of them good ones, but then they never are all good, right?

Nina Berry brings in some physics into this book in addition to the paranormal, which I loved! The whole concept about the particle accelerator was so intriguing. There was a lot of depth to the explanation, which was great to see, because you don't find that in a lot of novels. Overall, this book was fantastic - it had everything I could possibly want, and more. The ending is bittersweet, but I liked it. It doesn't leave you hanging, so thank goodness for that (I hate cliffhangers)! What I love most about this series is its unpredictability. I don't know what the next book will bring, so I'm eagerly looking forward to it!

*Thank you to Nina Berry for providing an ARC for review*

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! I love reading your comments :) Make sure to link your blog (if you have one) so I can visit you back!